Friday 30 May 2014

HOMEMADE GRANOLA



Breakfast are very important to me. I am not able to do anything else before I eat. And most of the time I eat cereals for breakfast, I particularly like granola. I have been planning to make my own for a while but I guess I was a little lazy. Recently I found a great recipe that allows me to experiment a little. Add a nut or leave out the fruit. So I can make exactly what I love and I know exactly whats in it. I add more of things that I should be eating but don't particularly enjoy on it's own, such as pumpkin seeds. They are full of zinc and great for healthy nails and hair...or so my mum always used to say.


The preparation is fairly quick and the baking time is 40-50 minutes. I have managed to make one before I went to work. I don't think I will be buying granola ever again. It really does taste amazing, fresh, crunchy and not too sweet.
I normally eat it with yoghurt and fresh fruit such as blueberries, sliced apples, or other berries in season and recently I've been enjoying sessional rhubarb which I stew with a bit of honey. Just delicious. It is equally as nice with almond milk. Not to mention that its gluten free and full of goodness.


If you're a fan of healthy morning cereals like me, I urge you to give it a go. I bet you will be hooked.
Just follow this easy recipe.



You will need:
3 cups of organic rolled oats
1 1/2 cups of nuts and seeds, for example walnuts, flaked almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, cashews, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds.

1/2 cup of apple juice ( I juiced 2 apples at home but you can buy good quality juice in store)
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey (agave and rice syrup will work too)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp fine salt
a touch of ground black pepper

1 cup of dried fruit such as cranberries, sultanas, currants, blueberries or cherries.

Start with placing your oats and nuts in a large bowl. You might have to chop some of the nuts to smaller pieces. Mix well.

Now preheat the oven to 170C.

Place the apple juice in a sauce pan with the syrup, coconut oil, vanilla paste, cinnamon, salt and pepper and heat it gently until the coconut oil melts and salt dissolves. Pour this mixture over the oat/nut mix and toss it well to coat all the ingredients. Spread this mixture on a large baking tray cover with greaseproof paper.
Bake it in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and crunchy. Make sure you stir it every 15 minute so it is baked evenly.

Let it coil completely. It will become more crunchy once its cooled. Now you can mix in the dried fruit. You can add more of it if you're a fan, for me one cup is enough.  Store it in an airtight glass or metal container. It will last for few weeks. Mine lasts just a week as I eat it everyday and can't get enough.

I would welcome your experiences with granola and if you came across a recipe that you love and differs from this one. I think I will be testing chocolate one soon.









No comments: