Thursday 7 August 2014

TOMATO TART


Summer is in the full swing and we have been enjoying all the wonderful produce available. This is the time of the year I wish I had a garden. Or allotment, somewhere close enough. To grow my own peas and radish and blackcurrants. But most of all, the seasonal tomatoes which are more flavoursome, sweet and tangy. All different kinds are available from the markets at the moments. Like a colourful painting you can smell and eat.
My mother came to spend some time with me an my sister. I wanted to cook something nice for her. She is a big fan of healthy food, so something fresh and light came to my mind.



I found this recipe on another blog. I was a bit worried that the tomatoes might be a bit too sweet. But it was wonderful. The crust is from wholewheat flour mixed with butter and cheese. The filling has a touch of honey and spring onions. My mum asked for fish so I bought some cod and quickly panfried it. It was flaky and soft. I also made a salad from everything I found in the fridge. Fennel, carrots, radishes and some rocket. We both enjoyed our dinner on the balcony. The warm weather is very unstable in London, I'm trying to enjoy every moment. It was lovely to have her around. In the morning, to say thank you I guess, she cleaned the kitchen before I even woke up.





Here is how to make it.
For the crust:
1 cup whole wheat flour
113g of melted butter
1 cup grated cheese, I used emmental
1/2 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
2 cups of cherry tomatoes, add few more if you wish
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
3 tsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbs honey salt and pepper

Prepare the filling. Cut all the cherry tomatoes in half and put in a large bowl. add the spring onions, thyme, salt, pepper to taste. Add olive oil and honey, mix well and set aside.

Place the flour in a large bowl and add the melted butter. Cut with your fingers until well combined. Now add the finely grated cheese, thyme leaves and salt, keep mixing well. Once done, press the pastry into a tart case, you can use round if you wish. Do it the same way as cheesecake, pressing with a back of the spoon to make it even. Make sure to go up the sides of the tart. It should be around 0.5 mm thick.

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Top the crust with the tomato mix, spread around and bake in the preheated oven for an hour, until golden brown and crispy. You will smell it while before it's done, a combination of cheese and tomatoes, its temptation.

I used a form with removable bottom, its easier to get the tart out once slightly cooled. It is rather delicate crust so be careful with it.  If you do not have one, use whats available, but it might be harder to serve in a presentable way.




No comments: